Monday, May 15, 2006

Short story



Could not think of a title. Picture of small boy taken in the 70,s and a picture I took in Santorini. Back in the 70,s I started doing photography for a hobby, I set up a dark room and taught myself the basics did a few weddings and that. Then I started to collect cameras. Collecting is an addiction like any other and I used to spend all my salary every week on cameras. Then of course I had to buy photographic books and journals for reference then it was anything to do with photography, light meters, flash guns, tripods ,enlargers, ect, ect. Then I would have phases of different types of cameras--spy cameras---stereo cameras---half frame cameras and so on.
After several years I had one of the largest photographic collections possibly in England with over 200 cameras dating from 1870 and a photographic library of some 200 books,manuals and pamphlets. I even start on theodolites and brass microscopes. At the time there were not many books on collecting cameras so I got some good bargains and I had a couple of small exhibitions in the local library but as time went by they just finished up stored away and no one ever saw them. I had three enlargers set in a dark room for different size negatives and a large fridge to store film so it would not go off especially infra red film.I had tiny tiny cameras and on up to cameras that took sheet negative the size of A4 paper. Because no one got too see them I decide to sell and it was around the time that the Atari video game first came out and space invaders. So I sold all my collection except for a Lieca which I kept for my own use. I had 3 Liecas. I also had a juke box and while collecting cameras at antique fairs I used to collect 45,s for the juke box but had to sell it when we moved house because it would not go through the door. Have collected old radios and motorcycles and for the past few years been collecting albums. Raining today but not cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home